Monday, October 28, 2013

Writer's Day

Last Saturday I went to a big writer’s day hosted by SCBWI. It was down in Thousand Oaks. My conference buddy Roni (who I carpooled with to the summer SCBWI conference), picked me up for the writer’s day as well. There were also two other writers and an illustrator who carpooled with us, making a total of five creative women in the car!

They picked me up at 5:45 am, which meant I had to be up at 4:45am. There are not too many things in life that will get me up and going that early in the morning…but a writer’s day is one of them.

There were several editors and authors who spoke, mainly on the theme of finding your voice as a writer. There was also a question/answer panel with the editors. The best part was the editor’s critique of my work. Two months ago I mailed in the first chapter of my current project to be critiqued by an editor. At the end of the conference I picked up my pages and the editor’s notes. They were very helpful and encouraging. She pointed out some things for me to think about and revise. She said my story is marketable. Best of all, she said she’d love to read more after I’ve revised/completed the book!


Who knows? Maybe this will be my “in”!

No comments:

Post a Comment