Friday, November 22, 2013

Q & A

My favorite part of the author visits I do at schools is the Q & A time with the kids at the end. They always ask great questions. Here are a few I got this week:

Q: How long have you been writing?
A: Since I was about 8 or 9 years old.

Q: How long does it take you to write a book?
A: Usually from the time I start writing to the time I release the book it takes about a year. It takes me about 3-4 months to get a first draft, then the rest of the time is spent on revising/editing.

Q: Which book is your favorite that you've written?
A: That's a hard one! I usually love the book I am currently writing, but now that I'm all finished writing the series, I have to pick one. I think Book 4. I took some risks in my writing and it paid off. The last book was the hardest for me to write, so I'm the most proud of that one.

Q: Where did you get the idea for Sherlock Academy?
A: From my love of Sherlock Holmes. He's my favorite literary character. I thought it would be great to introduce Holmes to kids by writing a series that involved him. The best ideas come from things you love. Write about what you love.

Q: What's you favorite thing about writing?
A: Imagination! The ideas are limitless. It's exciting to create something and use your imagination to ask "Why?" or "Why not?"

Q: What are you working on now that the series is finished?
A: Another middle-grade mystery. It's very different from Sherlock Academy, starting with the protagonist being a girl this time. But I'm excited about it. I hope to have a first draft done by Christmas.

No comments:

Post a Comment