Monday, November 5, 2012

Trusting My Gut


I wrote Chapter 1 of Book 5.

And I am astounded to say I think it’s a keeper! That’s usually not the case when I start a new book. Usually I end up rewriting Chapter 1 a few times. With Book 3, I have three different versions of Chapter 1. It’s sometimes tricky to decide how to start a book, for Chapter 1 sets the tone of the whole book. It also has to catch the reader’s interest immediately, give the reader a sense of the plot and conflict, and introduce key characters. Like I said, tricky.

I felt in my gut how I should start Book 5, and I listened to my gut. It’s quite an intense beginning, a little dark, and offers a surprising twist right away. Risky. But I felt it was the right way to start it. I read the draft to Michael and he affirmed what I was thinking.
I have a good feeling about this one...

No comments:

Post a Comment