Friday, April 12, 2013

Growth Chart


Right now I’m reading through my own Sherlock Academy series. Whenever I’m writing the next book, I take time to go back and read my previous books. I do this for a few reasons: to get a sense of where my characters and story are coming from, to remind myself of any little details I may have forgotten, and to be sure my series is maintaining cohesion.

One thing I’ve been struck with as I’m reading Book 1 is how much I’ve grown as a writer. I wrote Book 1 almost 6 years ago. In those 6 years I’ve found my voice as a writer, I’ve grown braver in taking risks with my writing, and have gotten a clearer view on story and plot. It’s exciting.

I’ve noticed the same thing about myself as a mom. Westly just turned two. Looking back on the last two years of motherhood, I’m encouraged to see how much I’ve grown. I’ve found my confidence as a mom, I’ve grown braver in my capabilities of mothering, and have gotten a clearer view on raising a child.
But with both writing and parenting, there is always more to learn. Both are life-long processes of growing, improving, learning from mistakes, trying new things, and expressing my creativity.

It’s the best!

No comments:

Post a Comment