Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Fainting and Plotting


I had to go in to get blood drawn. I was recommended to do so as a routine examination since the last time I had blood analyzed was when I was pregnant. At first I put it off. Then the last few weeks I’ve been feeling dizzy, tired, and having minor headaches. So I decided it was a good idea to draw blood and see what’s going on.

UGH

I have THE worst veins for drawing blood. I always have—except when I was pregnant. The increase blood supply did wonders for my veins and blood pressure. I always have to lie down, endure much prodding and poking, and hear over and over how small my veins are, etc. I usually do okay with it, for I really don’t have a phobia of needles or blood.

But if I let myself, I can psych myself out and start to feel faint. Of course going in on an empty stomach (because of fasting for it) never helps. This time I definitely was on the verge of fainting. I felt hot, cold, tingly, broke out into a cold sweat, and had to inhale deeply and get my mind on something else.

And I thought about my character Rollie in Book 4 I’m finishing up. There is a moment at the end when Rollie overhears some shocking information and reacts by feeling faint. I drew on my past experiences, but now I was able to double-check my writing as I lay there feeling on the verge of passing out!

The great literary experts always say “Write what you know!”

Well….

No comments:

Post a Comment