Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Like Mother Like Daughter


Last week my mom came to visit. My family lives about 4 hours away, so we take turns visiting each other. During the summer though, my mom prefers to come here since it’s about 20 degrees cooler. She’s able to leave the triple-digit temperatures and muggy August humidity and enjoy our 70-degree summer on the central coast. We always have a great time catching up. And she gets some good Grammy time with Westly. 

It’s interesting to see our relationship evolve as I’ve become a mom and she’s become a grandma. She makes more sense to me. I understand the choices she made as a mom. I see more of her in me. And the funny thing is, she’s reminding me of her mom—my grandma. Life is ironic in the way it comes around full circle in relationships.

And I’m reminded that a good story does the same thing. Good characters evolve, and good plots come around full circle. As they say, art imitates life. Or should at least.

No comments:

Post a Comment