Monday, October 8, 2012

Let's Get Connected


Michael and I have been talking about making a big change in our life. A change that will make life a little more convenient, but will also be a constant challenge to our self-control. A change that will be an added expense, but will hopefully pay off. A change that may keep us up late at night.

 

We’re thinking about finally getting the internet at our house.

That’s right, we have no internet service at home. We defy the American norm. We haven’t been sure we could afford it. It was one of those luxuries we decided to do without to keep to our tight budget. But now we think we can swing it.

And it’s becoming increasingly more inconvenient to not have it. Right now I go once a week to Starbucks (during one of Westly’s naps on the weekend while Michael stays home) to blog, check email, browse Pinterest, etc. I look forward to it partly to have some time alone out, partly to have my Starbucks treat, and partly to catch up online. While these little dates with myself are nice, I’m finding going online once a week isn’t cutting it.

I’m missing deadlines on coupons sent to my email, missing facebook invites from my friends, forgetting to check different things, and responding way late to editors and publishers. I am also toying with the idea of doing some Etsy business to bring in some extra income. But I would definitely need to be online at least once a day for that.

And let’s face it: it would be nice to have the option to veg online after West goes to sleep.

In danger of being way cheesy, I have to quote Spiderman: “With great power comes great responsibility.” Same with the internet. We’ll have to exercise some self-control to be sure we’re not ignoring West, ignoring each other, etc. But then I figure we’ll replace one time-suck for another: instead of watching 3 episodes of Gilmore Girls at night, we’ll surf the web.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment