Monday, January 28, 2013

To Be Well Named


I’ve had people ask me how I come up with names for my characters. I don’t really know what to say. The answer is too short and corny. But true.

For the most part, names just pop into my head. When I’m creating a character, the name comes along with him/her. Sometimes I have to really brainstorm on the name, especially for big main characters. But for the most part, the name shoots into my head.

I wish it was that easy when it came to naming children. I’ve had some names on my list for a few years, mainly girl names. When it comes to boy names, we’re at a lost. Westly had always been a fave of mine, but it was the only boy name we had. Even now, we have no boy names. There is a lot of pressure naming a boy, I feel. The name has to go with the last name, and this little boy has to grow into a man and own his name.

Needless to say, I am trusting that when/if we have another baby, and if it is another boy, my writer’s muse will shoot the perfect name into my head.

After all, the baby will be a Shaw, thus quite a character!

No comments:

Post a Comment